For most of my life, I’ve avoided wearing the color yellow. Whenever I am shopping with someone and we see a beautiful yellow dress, it doesn’t get much second thought because it’s a universal myth that “yellow doesn’t look good on anyone.”
I bought into that myth as I was growing up. No yellow shirts. No yellow dresses. No wearing yellow.
Just recently, I stepped out of my comfort zone and I bought this beautiful yellow shirt. I honestly don’t know what I was thinking when I grabbed it to try it on in the fitting room. Honestly, I think that I liked the twist on the color yellow and I liked how it was toned down, being suitable for pretty much any season.
As soon as I threw the top on, I was in love. Why had I never worn yellow before this?! Who created that myth that yellow looks terrible on anyone and everyone?!
I quickly realized that the myth was wrong and yellow did in fact look amazing on. The next hurdle was figuring out how to wear yellow and more specifically, how to pair this shirt…
I knew that denim would definitely look great with yellow, as denim is pretty much a neutral. Past pairing the yellow top with jeans, I was stuck. What in the world was I going to wear with this top?!
Alas, I finally figured it out and after some trial and error of trying on outfits in my closet, I think I’ve got the whole “how to wear yellow” thing down.
Here are my tips on how to wear yellow:
- Try pairing yellow with denim! Denim is always a good idea if you don’t know what to pair with a piece of clothing, patterned or not.
- Just like regular wash denim, black and white jeans or shorts are also a great idea. Since white and black are neutrals, I just throw them into the same category as denim. Whenever I’m stuck I try pairing colors and patterns with white jeans. You can’t go wrong!
- Try to pair it with a print! Depending on how busy the shirt or piece of clothing is, I think that a patterned piece would look incredible! For example, I think that my pair of leopard heels shown in this post would have pieced this look together perfectly. For yellow, try leopard print or stripes!
- When purchasing a piece of yellow clothing, make sure it isn’t too neon or bright. I try to look for yellow that is muted or toned down, like the top I am wearing in these photos. If the yellow is bright and neon, it might wash you out and it will be even harder to pair with other items of clothing!
- Try pairing yellow with either a neutral or a primary color (red or blue!). I know for a fact that yellow and gray look great together- try that!
- For jewelry, try pairing yellow with tortoise shell jewelry. When I wear yellow, I typically get stuck on what jewelry to wear. Will gold make the look too yellow or will silver just clash? I opt for tortoise jewelry instead of jewelry with a lot of metals.
Some of my favorite yellow pieces:
Thanks for reading, y’all! I’d love to see your yellow outfits! Tag your posts with #realfashionrealme and I’ll check them out! :)
Shop the Post: