That’s right. I tried THE ice cream bread.
When I came upon the pictures of ice cream bread on Pinterest, I honestly was in shock. Just two ingredients? Ice cream and flour? That’s it? Does it taste good? Does it actually work? Is someone trying to prank me? I had a rush of thoughts come to mind and one of those thoughts was- I need to try this out. So I did.
I went to Target, bought some cookie dough ice cream, some self-rising flour, and put myself to work. That’s the strange part, though. This didn’t really take any work, and it only cost about $7 in ingredients.
Literally, you get your melted ice cream of choice, mix it with self-rising flour, stick it in the oven, and it’s done. Wow. This was super easy. If you’re a college girl, busy mom, or you have a crazy life, it’s the perfect recipe for you because it is so easy to make.
I am here to tell you that yes, this ice cream bread did work and it was a success.
Let me give you a few of my thoughts when making this first, though.
First of all, I was impatient so I stuck my ice cream in the microwave to melt it. You want it to be all the way melted because the flour really thickens it up. Secondly, it will have the consistency of pizza dough. Supposedly the “dough” tastes like pizza dough, too. Weird. Thirdly, yes, it will rise because of the flour and it will look like any type of cake or bread you make. Super weird.
Y’all, I seriously cannot get over this recipe. How, who, what? How does this work? Who discovered this? What in the world?
But yes, it works.
If you are looking for a super sweet cake, don’t make this. I suppose you could add sugar to it to make it more like a cake, but I just stuck to two ingredients. Well, I added more chocolate chips for fun, so three ingredients. This type of “bread” is more of a savory one, like banana bread. The consistency reminded me of a biscuit and it looks like bread when you cut into it. Actually, scratch that. The top of the bundt cake looks like a biscuit, but the cake is spongey in a sense. I really don’t know how to describe it. It is great to eat at breakfast, if you want an afternoon snack, or you want something like a pound cake. I brought this bread to my class the next day for my classmates.
It is hard to believe that this worked, but I am so excited to try different flavors! I used cookie dough, but I want to try mint chocolate chip, chocolate, monster cookie dough, and confetti/cake batter.
As for the taste, as y’all know, I sadly am not allowed to have this cake, but my roommates said that it tasted really good! I knew it was going to be good because it smelled so good in the oven!
Here are some extra tips when making this:
- Go for the full-fat ice cream. This bread will not work if you use a light or fat-free version.
- The ice cream has to be very soft and pretty much melted to work. Mine was completely melted, but still cold, if that makes sense. It won’t be the consistency of water because of the dairy, but it’ll have a consistency similar to heavy cream.
- You can add whatever toppings you want!
- Do not over beat the batter.
- If you use a 1.5 quart of ice cream, this will make a bundt cake. This will serve about 15 people.
- You can use 1 pint (2 cups) of ice cream to make a loaf of bread and only 1 1/4 cup self-rising flour for 35-40 minutes.
- 1.5 quarts of ice cream (full-fat- not light or fat-free)
- 4 cups of self-rising flour
- Preheat your oven to 350º
- Grab your melted ice cream and your self rising flour and combine using an electric mixer. Do not over beat!
- Add any extra fun ingredients like chocolate chips, sprinkles, nuts, crushed cookies.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Take out of oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Flip onto a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Cut and enjoy!
Please try this recipe! It is a keeper and I will keep y’all updated on my spinoffs of this recipe. I hope y’all have a great rest of your day!