As I am closing out the year of 21, I can really say that this year was a year of growth. I finally started to grow up, got some priorities straight, and thought about the future.
Twenty-one has seriously flown by and I cannot believe that today I’m finally twenty-two.
I can’t believe that the year of being twenty-one is over (today is my birthday!) There have been a lot of trials and a lot of highs, and I’ve learned a whole lot. I thought it’d be fun if I came up with a list of 21 things I learned while I was 21.
1. Community is so important. It’s important to invest in others and it’s important to have others invest in you.
2. It’s never too late to make a new friend. Don’t think that just because you have great friends, that you can’t make a new one that is wonderful and great.
3. Sometimes doing what’s best for you might hurt others, but again, it’s what’s best for you.
4. Taking a step back and doing an evaluation of your life can be good every once and a while.
5. Growth happens in the hard places.
6. Being a people pleaser isn’t worth it. It’s draining, it’s exhausting, and it’s just not worth it. You can’t please everyone and that is OKAY.
7. Surround yourself with people who push you to who you want to be. Surround yourself with friends who will challenge you, who will sharpen you.
8. I become more like my mother every day. Seriously, everyday, I see myself turning more and more into my mother, and it honestly makes me the happiest girl ever because my mom is an incredible woman.
9. You don’t have to “put yourself out there” to have fun. Watching a movie and hanging out with friends is just as fun as going out and eating dinner with friends. Do what’s best for you
10. Admitting your weaknesses and struggles can be so freeing.
11. Every season has a purpose.
12. God is working for His glory in ALL situations.
13. Traveling is so mind expanding and exhausting all in one. Traveling and being able to explore is such a gift and a blessing.
14. It’s important to challenge yourself. Challenging yourself mentally, physically and spiritually is so incredible and it’s how you can grow.
15. Just because you’re younger than someone doesn’t mean that you don’t have an impact or that your words aren’t important.
16. Wisdom is a sweet thing. Having and gaining wisdom has been one of my biggest prayers as a 21 year old, and I still continue to pray for it and find ways to gain wisdom.
17. Education is so important. I’m not just saying this because I’m an elementary education major, but learning new things and keeping your mind active is so important. Education is something that I take for granted most days.
18. Opposites attract. I’ve become great friends with people who are complete opposites of me, and it’s been such a wonderful thing.
19. Concerts are a good way to spend your time.
20. Laughing can be the best medicine. Cheesy, but also kind of true! There is nothing better than laughing so hard until your stomach hurts!
21. Parents are such a blessing. All that I have become, I owe to them (+ Jesus- always). They are the best people and they are so wise. They are the constant thing I know that I can come back to for advice and wisdom.
Y’all, I can’t believe that this past year has gone by so quickly. It’s been such a wonderful year, truly. I am really looking forward to year 22 as it’s the year I graduate, the year I move into my first apartment, and the year that I ultimately start real adulthood (eek!! Scary stuff. More on that later.). Cheers to 21 and here’s to 22!